We are happy to help if you have any questions - please call, email or just pop in!
Flower Care Tips
- Use a clean vase as bacteria can reduce flowers lifespan
- Remove approximately 2cm off the base of stems, making a diagonal cut with a sharp knife or sharp scissors
- Remove leaves that will be below the waterline.
- Avoid direct sunlight, heat or draughts. A cool spot is best
- Keep flowers away from fruit.
- Considering placing flower food in the water
- Change water every two to three days
- Protect your household items from leakage and stains by placing something under the arrangement.
- Never let the oasis (green foam) dry out. Simply add water to keep damp
- Mist regularly with a fine spray. This will ensure your tropical flowers retain their appearance.
- To prevent pollen stains, remove stamens by gently pulling them up out of the flower with a tissue.
- Ensure the pollen does not fall on fabric or clothing
- Pollen stains can be brushed off or capture the pollen with sticky tape. If pollen gets into the fabric, treat as you would an-oil based stain.
- Tulips continue to grow after they are cut, growing toward a light source.
- Turn your vase occasionally to ensure an even growth.
- Never mix tulips and daffodils as daffodils emit sap which contaminates the water.
- Add water regularly – tulips enjoy a drink
- When deciding on a location for the plant, consider its preferred light & heat levels. For example, plants that like high humidity (e.g.: maiden hair ferns) will flourish in a bathroom.
- Position plants away from strong heat or cold draughts.
- Provide good drainage.
- Feed plants regularly with the appropriate food.
- Give broad glossy leaves an occasional wipe with a damp cloth.
- Pruning plants can encourage new growth.
- Flowering plants kept slightly pot bound will produce more flowers
- Check your plants regularly for signs of stress, pests or disease & treat accordingly.
- Remove dead leaves and flowers as they appear.
- There are traditional meanings that vary from culture to culture although the most important meaning is the thought behind the sending!
- Here is a list of common meanings-ACACIA – Concealed Love, Beauty in Retirement, Chaste Love
AMBROSIA – Your Love is Reciprocated
AMARYLLIS – Pride, Pastoral Poetry
ANEMONE – Forsaken
ARBUTUS – Thee Only Do I Love
ASTER – Symbol of Love, Daintiness
AZALEA – Take Care of Yourself for Me, Temperance, Fragile Passion, Chinese Symbol of Womanhood
BEGONIA – Beware
CACTUS – Endurance
CAMELLIA (PINK) – Longing for you
CAMELLIA (RED) – You’re a Flame in My Heart
CAMELLIA (WHITE) – You’re Adorable
CARNATION (GENERAL) – Fascination, Woman Love
CARNATION (PINK) – I’ll Never Forget You
CARNATION (RED) – My Heart Aches For You, Admiration
CARNATION (SOLID COLOR) – Yes
CARNATION (STRIPED) – No, Refusal, Sorry I Can’t Be With You, Wish I Could Be With You
CARNATION (WHITE) – Sweet and Lovely, Innocence, Pure Love, Woman’s Good Luck Gift
CARNATION (YELLOW) – You Have Disappointed Me, Rejection
CHRYSANTHEMUM (GENERAL) – You’re a Wonderful Friend, Cheerfulness and Rest.
CHRYSANTHEMUM (WHITE) – Truth
CHRYSANTHEMUM (YELLOW) – Slighted Love
CYCLAMEN – Resignation and Good-bye.
DAFFODIL – Regard, Unrequited Love, You’re the Only One, The Sun is Always Shining when I’m with You
DAISY – Innocence, Loyal Love, I’ll Never Tell, Purity
DANDELION – Faithfulness, Happiness
FERN – Magic, Fascination, Confidence and Shelter
FIR – Time
GARDENIA – You’re Lovely, Secret Love
GERANIUM – Stupidity, Folly
GLADIOLI – Give Me a Break, I’m Really Sincere, Flower of the Gladiators
HOLLY – Defense, Domestic Happiness
HYACINTH (GENERAL) – Games and Sports, Rashness, Flower Dedicated to Apollo
HYACINTH (BLUE) – Constancy
HYACINTH (PURPLE) – I am Sorry, Please Forgive Me, Sorrow
HYACINTH (RED OR PINK) – Play
HYACINTH (WHITE) – Loveliness, I’ll Pray for You
HYACINTH (YELLOW) – Jealousy
HYDRANGEA – Thank You for Understanding, Frigidity, Heartlessness
IRIS – Fleur-de-lis, Emblem of France, Your Friendship Means so Much to Me, Faith, Hope, Wisdom and Valor, My Compliments
IVY – Wedded Love, Fidelity, Friendship, Affection
JONQUIL – Love Me, Affection Returned, Desire, Sympathy, Desire for Affection Returned
LARKSPUR (PINK) – Fickleness
LILY (WHITE) – Virginity, Purity, Majesty, It’s Heavenly to be with You
LILY (YELLOW) – I’m Walking on Air, False and Gay
LILY (CALLA) – Beauty
LILY (DAY) – Coquetry, Chinese Emblem for Mother
LILY (EUCHARIS) – Maiden Charms
LILY (TIGER) – Wealth, Pride
MAGNOLIA – Nobility
MARIGOLD – Cruelty, Grief, Jealousy
MISTLETOE – Kiss me, Affection, To Surmount Difficulties, Sacred Plant of India
MOSS – Maternal Love, Charity
MYRTLE – Love, Hebrew Emblem of Marriage
ORANGE BLOSSOM – Innocence, Eternal Love, Marriage and Fruitfulness
ORCHID – Love, Beauty, Refinement, Beautiful Lady, Chinese Symbol for Many Children
ORCHID (CATTLEYA) – Mature Charm
PALM LEAVES – Victory and Success
PEONY – Shame, Happy Life, Happy Marriage
PETUNIA – Resentment, Anger, Your Presence Sooths Me
PINE – Hope, Pity
POPPY (GENERAL) – Eternal Sleep, Oblivion, Imagination
POPPY (RED) – Pleasure
POPPY (WHITE) – Consolation
POPPY (YELLOW) – Wealth, Success
PRIMROSE – I Can’t Live Without You
PRIMROSE (EVENING) – Inconsistency
ROSE (BRIDAL) – Happy Love
ROSE (DARK CRIMSON) – Mourning
ROSE (HIBISCUS) – Delicate Beauty
ROSE (LEAF) – You May Hope
ROSE (PINK) – Perfect Happiness, Please Believe Me
ROSE (RED) – Love, I Love You
ROSE (TEA) – I’ll Remember Always
ROSE (THORNLESS) – Love at First Sight
ROSE (WHITE) – Innocence and Purity, I am Worthy of You, You’re Heavenly, Secrecy and Silence
ROSE (WHITE AND RED MIXED) – Unity